Product Description of the Wide Belt Calculator - Norton R976 Ceramic Heavy-Duty Cloth Wide BeltsThe patented friable ceramic grain used in Red-X belts provides a consistent sharp cutting action, allowing lower working pressure. The super size layer releases heat generation and risk of burn.
• Sharp ceramic grain for aggressive sanding
• Durable polyester-cloth backing gives long service life and is resistant to tearing
• Ideal for grinding stainless steel and aluminium
• Supersize layer (or top-coat) offers cooler grinding and therefore reduces burning when grinding heat-sensitive metals
• Suitable for a variety of applications, including deburring, weld preparation/removal and removing rust
• Offers greater performance than zirconia, and achieves a good consistent cut rate even at low and medium pressures
• Grain: Red-X Ceramic
• Backing: Polyester-cotton cloth
• Bonding: High-performance phenolic resin
• Grit range: P36-120
• Special coating: Third layer (new high performance formulation of supersize)
• Removal of paint
• Removal of rust
• Weld preparation
• Removing discolouration
• Sanding down
• Surface finishing
• Smoothing and blending of flaws
• Good consistent cut rate even at low and medium pressure
• Excellent belt performance on medium to hard contact wheels
• Low heat generation reduces risk of burn
• Reduce your cost per part
• Stainless Steel
Data Sheet for the Wide Belt Calculator - Norton R976 Ceramic Heavy-Duty Cloth Wide Belts
Why Use Ceramic?Norton R976 Ceramic Heavy-Duty Cloth Wide Belts have a ceramic grain, which lasts the longest of all coated abrasives, as well as being the fastest cutting. This is due to the micro-crystalline grain which self-sharpens and fractures more uniformly to give more consistent performance, and works well in medium to high pressure applications. Norton R976 Ceramic Heavy-Duty Cloth Wide Belts are ideal for even the most demanding applications where productivity and fast stock removal are key.
Ceramic is in some cases supplied with a "topsize" (also known as "top coat", or "supersize layer".) This is a coating which is sprayed on to the grit to act as a coolant when working on heat-sensitive metals such as stainless steel and exotic alloys, and therefore reduce discoloration or burning. It can however also act as a lubricant to help reduce loading (where stock removed from the workpiece builds up on the abrasive and makes it less effective) on softer metals such as aluminium. The presence of a topsize does reduce the aggressiveness of the grain however, and so it is best not to have one if discoloration will not be an issue, for example when working on mild/carbon or structural steel.
Available in various forms including abrasive belts, velcro-backed discs, flap discs and fibre discs. Roloc discs, also known as speedlok, siafix, quick-release, and quick-change discs, are also very popular and often used for blending/removing welds and spot repair. Our Nitro Fast-Cut Ceramic Rolocs in particular are very aggressive and available as coarse as P24, therefore being useful for fast stock removal, while the Green Nitro and Red Nitro Ceramic Roloc Discs have a topsize and are ideal for reducing heat generation. For working on softer metals such as aluminium there is also the option of the unique White Nitro, which has a stearate coating to help reduce loading on the disc.