Product Description of the Belt Calculator - Norton R976 Red-X Ceramic Abrasive Sanding BeltsThe patented friable ceramic grain used in Red-X belts provides a consistent sharp cutting action, allowing lower working pressure. The super size layer releases heat generation and risk of burn.
• Recommended for stainless steel & aluminium
• Supersize layer (or top-coat) offers cooler grinding and therefore reduces burning when grinding heat-sensitive metals
• Good quality ceramic, with patented 'Red-X' friable SG ceramic grain
• High cut rate even at low or medium pressures
• Durable and much longer-lasting than aluminium oxide and zirconia - very cost effective material, particularly for a ceramic
• Backing: strong polyester cloth
• Abrasive: SGF, a new friable ceramic grain
• Bond: high performance phenolic resin
• Third layer: a new high performance formulation of supersize
• Grit availability: 36 to 120
• Shape: belts
• Good consistent cut rate even at low and medium pressure
• Excellent belt performance on medium to hard contact wheels
• Low heat generation reduces risk of burn
• Excellent on various material types; from Stainless Steel to Inconel to Titanium
• Reduce your cost per part
• Aerospace foundries (small blades gate grinding)
• Steel mills (plate surface grinding)
• Medical (Titanium, Chromium Cobalt)
• Metal fabrication (Stainless Steel tanks...)
Data Sheet for the Belt Calculator - Norton R976 Red-X Ceramic Abrasive Sanding Belts
Why Use Ceramic?Norton R976 Red-X Ceramic Abrasive Sanding Belts have a ceramic grain, which lasts the longest of all coated abrasives, as well as being the fastest cutting. This is due to the micro-crystalline grain which self-sharpens and fractures more uniformly to give more consistent performance, and works well in medium to high pressure applications. Norton R976 Red-X Ceramic Abrasive Sanding Belts are ideal for even the most demanding applications where productivity and fast stock removal are key.
Ceramic is in some cases supplied with a "topsize" (also known as "top coat", or "supersize layer".) This is a coating which is sprayed on to the grit to act as a coolant when working on heat-sensitive metals such as stainless steel and exotic alloys, and therefore reduce discoloration or burning. It can however also act as a lubricant to help reduce loading (where stock removed from the workpiece builds up on the abrasive and makes it less effective) on softer metals such as aluminium. The presence of a topsize does reduce the aggressiveness of the grain however, and so it is best not to have one if discoloration will not be an issue, for example when working on mild/carbon or structural steel.
Available in various forms including abrasive belts, velcro-backed discs, flap discs and fibre discs. Roloc discs, also known as speedlok, siafix, quick-release, and quick-change discs, are also very popular and often used for blending/removing welds and spot repair. Our Nitro Fast-Cut Ceramic Rolocs in particular are very aggressive and available as coarse as P24, therefore being useful for fast stock removal, while the Green Nitro and Red Nitro Ceramic Roloc Discs have a topsize and are ideal for reducing heat generation. For working on softer metals such as aluminium there is also the option of the unique White Nitro, which has a stearate coating to help reduce loading on the disc.